Today, we learned about the two types of characterization: direct and indirect characterization. We then applied what we learned by analyzing characters from James Baldwin’s “The Rockpile” using the STEAL method: Speech, Thoughts, Effect on Others, Actions, and Looks. Now, apply characterization to yourself. If someone were using the STEAL method to characterize you, how would they describe you? Select all parts of STEAL and explain what they reveal about your personality. Use specific examples. For example, what do your actions reveal about you? What does the way you speak reveal? How do you affect others? What might your thoughts or appearance communicate about who you are? Write one full paragraph.

Prompt Response: If someone used the STEAL method to characterize me, they would probably describe me as a kind, hardworking, and thoughtful person. My speech shows that I try to cheer people up or I'm warm when I talk to others, and I usually think before I say something that could hurt someone’s feelings. My thoughts reveal that I care about the people around me and often think about how my choices will affect others. My actions show that I am responsible because I try to finish my work, help others when they need it, and keep my promises. The effect I have on others shows that I can be supportive and encouraging, especially when someone is having a difficult day. Finally, my looks can communicate that I don't care too much about what others think.

Summary: Overall, the STEAL method would show that I am someone who cares about others, takes my responsibilities seriously, and tries to be a positive person.

Reflection: Gabrielle is still a terrible dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With 4.5-week grades posting on September 2, reflect on your experience in American Literature so far. What has been going well for you, what has been challenging, and what is one thing you need to improve moving forward?

In “A Worn Path,” Phoenix has a memorable encounter and conversation with the hunter during her journey. Think about a conversation you have had that had a lasting impact on you. What was the conversation about, and how did it change your thinking, perspective, or actions?

3 goals I want to achieve this year